If you’re getting stuck in to this challenge, listen up Mudder virgins!
Hands up if you’ve signed up for a Tough Mudder event? Now the training is winding down and prep for the day is getting closer, here’s what you need to know…
What is Tough Mudder? Tough Mudder is a team-oriented 10-12 mile (18-20 km) obstacle course designed to test physical strength and mental grit. With the most innovative courses and inspiring over a million participants worldwide to date, Tough Mudder is the premier adventure challenge series in the world. In 2015, Tough Mudder events across the UK and around the world will feature a course full of world-class obstacles designed to test both physical and mental strength. More than 90% of participants are expected to register as part of a team; to encourage teamwork and camaraderie over competition, the events remain untimed.
– GET KITTED OUT: Cover you legs and wear long lycra, as you’ll be crawling, jumping and bumping against stuff and will get scraped on your lower legs. We love Under Armour’s ColdGear Infared Leggings, £38, and their Tough Mudder Charged Cotton Tri-Blend T-Shirt, £25, both have technology to leave you comfortable when taking on your obstacles! Have no shame in fancy dress or coordinating with your group to bring some fun to the tough proceedings. Don’t wear a hat, but headbands to keep your hair/mud out of eyes is fine and advised.
– BRING DUCT TAPE: It might sound silly, but taping your shoes on tight helps them to stay on during the wilder obstacles!
– APPROPRIATE SHOES: You need sensible shoes and Tough Mudder doesn’t permit spikes. Bring trainers that you don’t mind ruining (especially on the rainer, muddier days). It goes without saying, you’ll need a change of shoes and socks for afterwards.
– FUEL UP: Ensure you eat a decent breakfast and get a good night’s sleep before the event in order to have enough energy and motivation to tackle the course.
– ELECTRIC SHOCK: It’s definitely one of the more daunting (terrifying) obstacles, but you’re advised to run like there’s someone chasing you, to cover your face and pysch yourself out before you go through.
– HELP IS AT HAND: Tough Mudder isn’t about completing the course in a certain amount of time, it’s about completing it. There’s also comraderie by the bucket load. For the tougher obstacles, there’s often someone lending a hand and cheering you on.